The show was on October 29th. John Fell Ryan’s birthday. His 42nd birthday. 42 people. October 30th was the date of the closing day at The Overlook. It’s all coming together now. Our next BBC book? Bluebeard of course by Vonnegut. Vonnegut in January. Date will be posted soon.
Meanwhile, enjoy the photos by Lippe Manufacturing online:
And all these synchronicities (extracted from JFR’s presentation):
- 42 – is all over the Shining (and Hitch hiker’s guide to the galaxy – the answer to life, the universe and everything.)
- 4+2 = 6, the priest I sat next to on my 11 hour ride (Apollo 11!) back to NYC said 6 is the number of the devil (1 short of god who is 7).
- 6 also reflects the hexagons on the carpet; the parking lot.
- JFR had dinner at Maritime Hotel – walked 12 blocks to the show which was at the lightship Frying Pan
- “The Shining” begins on water – Lake Montana
- JFR visited that lake as a child.
“Room 237” premiered at Sundance, at the Egyptian Theater, located on Sidewinder, which is the street that leads to the Overlook in the movie.
The Egyptian theater was also the theater JFR worked at as a teenager in Seattle.
- Mistake – weirdest of the night. The pre-recorded track for Nicola’s dance piece cut off, and we heard—“This is Katie on Radiolab”
- “KDK 12” is the call sign for the radio at the Overlook.
- That night people started shouting out “Adrian!” ( for Adrian Cohen, but in the Sylvester Stallone accent)
- “The Shining” is famous for its use of the steadicam. The steadicam operator and inventor, Garrett Brown, was called away from shooting “The Shining” to shoot “Rocky.”
- Actor Tony Burton, Rocky’s ring man, also played the snowcat rental guy in “The Shining.”
- Tony Burton/ Tony the invisible guy who lives in Danny’s mouth.
- Danny Lloyd / Lloyd the bartender
- Lloyd the bartender’s bar is based on the Gold Room in the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Frank Lloyd Wright left his wife for his girlfriend who was murdered by a crazy guy with an ax who set his whole studio on fire.
- We’re all here in the Hex.
- The boiler room (the Frying Pan stage area looked like a boiler room)
- JFR’s college roommate married his ex-girlfriend in that room in the Frying Pan. Her grandmother said “This is the worst place she’s ever been”
- “The Shining” keeps producing stories — Halloran calls the pantry “The Story Room.” Endless tales, legends, looping endless shots, 127 takes of Halloran talking to Danny about ice cream.
- 237 – Jack Nicholson born 1937. Danny Lloyd born 1973.
- Coach sells the Apollo 11 sweater for $732
- Stanley Hotel – Stephen King stayed at Stanley Hotel and wrote The Shining there. Stanley Hotel was designed by Freelan Oscar Stanley. The Overlook Hotel is a conglomerate of several hotels. Timberline Hotel in Mt. Hood, Oregon and Owani Hotel – Yosemite, designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood
“The mirror, the mirror, the mirror’s all there.”
Like walking through a mirror, JFR walked into movie-ness. He’s not the super fan. One day, after drinking 12 beers in 8 hours…
October 30th – the closing day in The Shining at The Overlook.
In 1977, October 30th was daylight savings. Time, contracts, celestial bodies…